Sights to see



SKADARLIJA-The old, bohemian quarter of Belgrade, Skadarlija, arose during the late 19th and early 20th century when its inns were the gathering place of the best known names in Belgrade. It is frequently compared to the Montmartre of Paris, both in appearance as well as the exuberant and dynamic artistic atmosphere.


This part of the city arose during the early 19th century, with Skadarska Street being named and the houses being numbered in 1872. Skadarlija was once home to many famous writers, actors, painters and journalists. The bohemian spirit of Skadarlija started to develop in 1901 when, following the demolition of the famous “Dardaneli” inn, its residents moved to the inns of Skadarlija. Many famous local and international names “spent their best days there – during the night”.

The famous Serbian poet and painter Đura Jakšić lived and died in Skadarlija. His house was turned into a meeting place for poets during the “Skadarlija Nights”. Contemporary Skadarlija, a noted tourist attraction of Belgrade, houses the famous restaurants “Tri šešira” (“Three Hats”), “Ima dana” (“Time Enough”), ”Dva jelena” (“Two Stags”), “Skadarlija”, “Zlatni bokal” (“Golden Flagon”), “Dva bela goluba” (“Two White Doves”) and “Putujući glumac” (“Travelling Actor”), along with galleries, antique and souvenir shops. This ambiental environment, with its revitalization initiated in 1968, was urbanistically and architecturally shaped by the renowned Belgrade architect Uglješa Bogunović.

The fraternization of the Belgrade Skadarlija and the Parisian Montmartre occurred on October 22, 1977, at the initiative of the city of Paris. A caravan arrived from France on that occasion, carrying a poet, two painters, representatives of the administration of the Free Commune of Montmartre, fifteen musicians from the parade orchestra and several members of the Society of Beer-drinkers, Second-level Knights of Barley. A large procession of Belgraders, along with the guests, paraded in honour of this event from the Monument of Gratitude to France, across the Republic Square to Skadarska Street, where a memorial plaque was placed. Six months later Skadarlija returned the visit to its fraternal commune, and the artists of Skadarlija performed their programs on the most important places in Montmartre.



KALEMEGDAN-The Belgrade Fortress is a museum of the history of Belgrade, a place where you can literally observe the passage of time.


The Belgrade Fortress changed and developed throughout the centuries, it saw many armies, was the field of many battles, it witnessed the brutality of the conquerors and the courage of the tireless defenders of the city. It was the place where Belgrade started to develop.

The Fortress was built in stages, during the lengthy period between the 1st and 18th century, from a Roman castrum, through a Byzantine castle and the remains of the medieval capital of the Serb Despotate, all the way to an Austrian-Ottoman artillery fortification. The complex consists of the fortress itself, divided into the Upper Town (Despot’s Gate, Sahat kula - Clock Tower, Roman Well, Statue of the Victor), Lower Town (Nebojša Tower, Amam – Turkish bath, Gate of Charles VI) and the Kalemegdan Park, home to busts of important persons from Serbian history, science and culture.

The Belgrade Fortress offers an exciting view of the confluence of Sava and Danube, of New Belgrade and Zemun. The Kalemegdan Park contains the “Cvijeta Zuzorić” Pavilion, the Grand Stairway, the zoo, children’s park and a number of monuments and sculptures, several sports courts, a museum, a café and a restaurant.


ZEMUN-Once a separate town, Zemun has been a municipality within the city of Belgrade since 1945. People have settled the area of Zemun as far back as the Neolithic, using the favourable position of the banks of the Danube and the Sava.


The toponym Zemun arose with the arrival of the Slavs, based on the dugouts (“zemunice”) the first settlers lived in. The history of Zemun as a town in the contemporary sense of the word originates in 1717 with the arrival of the Austrians and its joining the Habsburg Monarchy. It became a significant fortification against Turkey and developed as an economic and trading centre located at the border. This improved the position of Zemun as a cultural nexus with special impact for the Serbs still living under Turkish rule at the time.

Zemun had a population of 17,000 in 1910. Most were farmers, but a quarter of the population was employed in crafts and industry. Zemun had more than 30,000 citizens around 1920, with varied national composition. Just under half were Serbs, nearly a third Germans and a fifth were Croatians.

The Zemun Fortress is the oldest building in Zemun, mentioned as early as the 9th century. The current remains are from the 15th century. The Millenium Tower stands at the centre of the fortification. It was erected by the Hungarian authorities in 1896 and was renewed in 1962. It is also known as the tower of Sibinjanin Janko (John Hunyadi).